Monday 16 May 2011

Life in Kerikeri

Kia Ora!

Been a while since i've updated so i thought i'd bore you a little bit with my life since I left Taupo and moved up to Kerikeri.

I basically left Taupo because although I was enjoying my job and house-sharing, my hours kept being cut and I was already in debt, so not enough to pay rent or do much of anything useful money-wise really. I got an email about Mandarin picking in the north and decided sweet as! That's where I want to be :-)

I've been staying at Hideaway lodge for about a month now, which is basically a working hostel. It's nice, lots of people here to meet (even if about 80% of them are German....). Met a couple of really nice people. Awesome. Spend a lot of time in a broken down caravan drinking, smoking and watching films (almost like home).

The other part of my time is spent working. I've had 3 different jobs since i've been here. For the first four days I was kiwifruit thinning (picking bad kiwifruit off the trees) which was okay but got a bit monotonous. After that I did 1 day packing kiwifruit and that was more than enough for a lifetime, so I spoke to a friend and he got me a job making tea in a different packhouse. For once I actually really enjoy my job. Lots of different things to get on with, always someone to talk to (met loads of awesome people through it) and the best part is I don't have to worry about a supervisor. Apart from a bit of trouble with my boss last week I pretty much don't have a boss. Lovely. At the moment I'm working nightshifts (5pm-2am, which might be extended to 5pm-6am... we'll see) which suits me down to the ground since i'm generally a night person anyway.

So settled down up here in Kerikeri and hoping to stay until the end of June when mother dearest comes out. 7ish more weeks (yay) and after that it's back to travelling around until I go home.

And that's about it really... not much to report apart from that.

Peace -x-

No comments:

Post a Comment